|I.—View of the lower part of James Town.||VII.—Front View of Longwood Old House.|
|II.—View of upper part of Main Street.||VIII.—Longwood New House.|
|III.—View of James Town, from the road leading to the Briars.||IX.—Marshal Bertrand's Cottage.|
|IV.—The Briars.||X.—Plantation House.|
|V.—The Tomb of Napoleon.||XI.—St. Paul's Church.|
|VI.—Longwood Old House.||XII.—Oak Bank.|
I.—VIEW OF THE LOWER PART OF JAMES TOWN.
A portion of the lower part of James Town, showing St. James's Church; the style of architecture being the decorated or middle pointed. It is capable of accommodating 500 persons.
II.—A VIEW OF THE UPPER PART OF THE MAIN STREET, JAMES TOWN.
Opening into Bridge Street on the one side and Napoleon's Street on the other.
III.—VIEW OF JAMES TOWN, FROM THE ROAD LEADING TO THE BRIARS.
The town is situated in a valley, between two lofty, rugged and precipitous hills. It extends up the valley about one mile in length, and contains about 3,000 people. The buildings are all of stone, and some are of a superior order. Among the principal may be mentioned two churches, various schools, a public library, two hospitals, military barracks, two public halls, and the fort or castle, comprising the official town residence of His Excellency the Governor and the public offices. There is also a public garden adjoining the castle. The town is well fortified, both by the lines in front and the batteries situated on the hills on either side. Access is gained to the country by roads winding up the hill on each side.
The house seen to the right, called the "Pavillion," was occupied by Napoleon, while Longwood Old House was being prepared for his reception. His dictations to Las Cases were given in this house, and the Pavillion has been preserved by its various proprietors in its original state. The house to the left was the residence of Mr. Balcombe. The surrounding scenery is rocky and grand, and the Briars, situated on a plateau at the foot of the hills, with a fine garden and grass fields, is rendered, by the contrast, the more attractive. It is distant from James Town about a mile and a-half.
V.—THE TOMB OF NAPOLEON.
In which his body remained from 1821 until the exhumation in 1840.
VI.—LONGWOOD OLD HOUSE.
The residence of Napoleon. These buildings, originally built for a farm-house, were, at the time Napoleon arrived on the island, occupied as a country residence by the Lieutenant-Governor. Being selected for the Emperor, the resent front room, with the verandah attached, was added to the building by Sir G. Cockburn, and formed the billiard-room and salon de reception. This room and verandah front, being all constructed of wood, are carved and scored over with the names of visitors, as represented in the front view. The next room was used as a drawing-room, and is the one in which the emperor died; the precise spot on which he breathed his last is under the end window in the corner of this room, as seen in the view. The jambs of this window have had at various times to be replaced, owing to the zeal of visitors in collecting relics. The right wing of the building, of which the upper gable is just visible, comprised the cabinet, bed-room, and bath-room, and opened from the front on to the Emperor's private garden, in the corner of which he built a summer-house. The opposite wing, precisely resembling this one in appearance, formed his library, and between the two was the dining-room. The double-storied buildings, seen at the back (as well as the long low building adjoining it), were occupied by Las Cases, Gourgaud, Montholon and family, together with the doctor and the English officer on duty. The long thatched wooden building, shown in the view, has been put up since, together with the various sheds and fences. In lieu of these, when occupied by Napoleon, the ground attached to the house was laid out as a flower garden, enclosed by a turf wall covered with roses. In front of the house, and around the garden, was an open grass lawn, dotted with fir, gumwood, and other trees. Longwood Old House is situated on the brow of a hill, with a plateau of nearly 1500 acres, backed by high and rugged hills, forming the front view; while in the rear, at about 100 yards below it, lies a beautiful valley, approached from the house by gradual slopes covered with grass. After Napoleon's death the buildings were again appropriated to farm purposes, and have, from the course of time and use to which they were applied, fallen into a state of great dilapidation.
VII.—FRONT OF LONGWOOD OLD HOUSE.
VIII.—LONGWOOD NEW HOUSE.
A view of Longwood New House (built for Napoleon, but never occupied by him). This building is at the foot of the lawn of the Old House, about one hundred yards distant from it. It is a one-storied building, and covers an area of about 23,000 superficial feet. It contains, in all, fifty-six rooms of various sizes. The centre contains a billiard-room, library, dining-room, &c. The right wing, as seen in the view, was intended for the Emperor, and the left for Montholon and family. In the rear of these are extensive premises, provided for the accommodation of the rest of his suite. The house is pleasantly situated in the Eastern division of the Island, at an elevation above the sea of about 1760 feet, with a good carriage-road from James Town, near five miles in length.
IX.—MARSHAL BERTRAND'S COTTAGE.
A view of the cottage occupied by Marshal Bertrand during his attendance upon Napoleon. It is pleasantly situated, a few yards to the right of the New House.
The official country residence of His Excellency the Governor of the Island, situated at a distance of about three and a quarter miles from James Town, in the Western division of the Island. There are about 280 acres of ground attached to Plantation House, which has been the residence of the Governor of St. Helena for many years, consequently the grounds are laid out with great taste, and contain many rare plants, both of tropical and temperate climes. From its position on the hills the air is always cool and pleasant, even in the height of summer. In the back ground is seen St. Paul's Church and old burial ground.
XI.—ST. PAUL'S CHURCH.
Situated in the country, on the hill at the back of Plantation House. The church is capable of accommodating about 500 persons, and the style of architecture is the early English. Since the closing of the burial grounds in James Town, the churchyard attached to St. Paul's has become of additional interest, not only to the inhabitants, but also to strangers visiting the island, many of whom have friends or relations interred in this beautiful spot. To the right, among the magnificent tall old cyprus trees, is the churchyard formerly used for the inhabitants of the country. To the left is seen the new ground added in consequence of the closing of the town burial grounds. The surrounding country consists of sloping hills and fields well clothed with trees and grass, and the spot is considered one of the most beautiful in the Island.
Situated in a central part of the Island, distant about four miles from Longwood, and three and a-half miles from James Town.
Situated in the valley below Oak Bank, about three quarters of a mile nearer to James Town.
Notes about this version of Melliss:
The title page and plates were scanned from an original copy of Melliss. The scanned images have been resized (size of the original plates approximately 192 by 108 mm). The text is exactly reproduced from an original copy of Melliss.
Contributed by Barry Weaver, from whom higher resolution images (full size - very large files!) of the plates and a MS WORD version of the text can be obtained.
Details of the original:
Melliss, G.W. Views of St. Helena; Illustrative of its Scenery and Historical Associations. From Photographs by G.W. Melliss, Esq., Surveyor General of the Island. London, 1857.
Size: Oblong octavo.
Text: Title (verso blank); Contents (one leaf, verso blank); one leaf of text (verso blank) to each plate.
Plates: Thirteen tinted lithograph plates signed W. Gauci lith. and Vincent Brooks Imp.
British Library shelfmark: T 33475
Library of Congress call number: Not in the catalogue.
Number 318 in Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in Aquatint and Lithography, 1770-1860, from the Library of J.R. Abbey: Vol. I, World, Europe, Africa. Curwen Press, London, 1956.
Last updated: 21 December, 2011